Earlier this month the High Frequency Industry Association (HFIA) held their first meeting of 2019 in San Diego. Isode CEO, Steve Kille, attended and gave three presentations at the meeting.
The first looked at measurements of HF Modem transmissions over a channel simulator using Collins modems and simulator. It investigates the impact of varying Interleavers for STANAG 4539 and STANAG 5069 waveforms. This presentation can be found here.
The second presentation was an overview of two whitepapers we recently published on the Isode website, Messaging Protocols for HF Radio and Measuring Performance of Messaging Protocols for HF Radio.
The final presentation gave results from an XMPP over HF trial funded by the UK MoD. The trial was carried out by Babcock, using Isode XMPP software, to evaluate the viability of providing a real time chat service for Naval and Airborne communications over HF.
Some components of release R17.0 are written in Java. You should install any Java dependencies before installing the following components of the Isode packages:
- M-Vault Console
- Log Configuration
- Isode Service Configuration
- M-Link Console
- Web applications
If you do not require these components then you do not need to install Java.
Oracle has announced that Java updates for commercial customers ends after January 2019. See(https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/java-se-support-roadmap.html ).
For R17.0v7 and later, Isode recommend commercial users of Java who do not wish to purchase support from Oracle, to use Isode’s “OpenJDK for Isode” package instead. This is available from www.isode.com This contains a copy of the OpenJDK (see http://jdk.java.net) which has been tested for compatibility with R17.0, and is fully supported for use by Isode applications.
Isode will not be updating versions prior to R17.0 to work with Java 11. Commercial users using these releases will have the following options:
- Upgrade to R17.0
- Run with a version of Oracle Java 8 which will, after January 2019, no longer receive updates from Oracle
- Obtain a suitable commercial license from Oracle for a supported version of Oracle Java 8 (which will receive updates after January 2019)
Isode R17.0 is supported with Oracle Java 8 and Oracle Java 11. A future version of Isode will remove support for Java 8.
After Java 8, the next LTS (Long-Term-Support) version of Oracle Java is Oracle Java 11. Commercial users of Oracle Java 11 are required to purchase a license from Oracle.
Commercial users may purchase extended support for Oracle Java 8 if they wish to deploy it after January 2019.
Two new whitepapers have been published on our website. The first sets out Isode’s Strategy for HF, STANAG 5066 and Applications over HF, looking at Isode’s product set for HF, with particular focus on innovative capabilities, research and Isode led standardization.
The second looks at the challenges of Operating XMPP over HF Radio and Constrained Networks, describing standards that have been developed to support constrained network operation and how these are supported in our M-Link family of XMPP server and gateway products.
We’re pleased to announce the first release of Icon-5066, Isode’s modem-independent STANAG 5066 server.
STANAG 5066 provides a link layer optimized for HF Radio as described in the whitepaper [STANAG 5066: The Standard for Data Applications over HF Radio].
Icon-5066 will connect to one or two HF modems, either through a Crypto box or directly, and provides a single interface to an HF network, which can be shared by multiple applications. A comprehensive product description of Icon-5066 is available on the Isode website.
Configured using a web interface, Icon-5066 is shipped with three test tools to help partners in testing Icon-5066 deployments:
- HF Tool: For running a range of tests to ensure good performance and operation of modem drivers in a range of conditions. It also gives a clear measure of modem performance.
- STANAG 5066 Console: Providing STANAG 5066 server discovery, HF operator chat and throughput measurements to peer S5066 Consoles with ARQ and non-ARQ traffic.
- MoRaSky: Provides a service equivalent to HF modems connected to Radios and operating over the Ionosphere. It enables sophisticated testing of Icon-5066 and the applications it supports, without use of hardware or Over the Air transmission.
Evaluations of Icon-5066 are available, contact your Account Manager or fill in the evaluation request form for more information.
R17.0, a major update to Isode’s product set, is now available, from our website, for customers and evaluators. Significant changes include:
- Harrier for Exchange: Introduced with R16.6 for use with Isode products, our web based messaging client is now available for use with Microsoft Exchange.
- Every IM domain in M-Link can now be configured to run with an independent directory. This enables support of multi-domain configurations with independent directories for users and groups.
- Extensive improvements to ACP127 and ACP142 capabilities and management in M-Switch have been made, including a wide range of capabilities aimed specifically at Operators.
- M-Vault has enhancements to OCSP support and built-in Web user password changing.
A comprehensive list of the new features in R17.0 can be found on the R17.0 Release Page.